D'un autre Genre  Index du Forum D'un autre Genre
forum pour Transsexuel(le) du Québec

question about process at grs

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    D'un autre Genre Index du Forum -> Centre d'information -> Chirurgie
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
marky
oeuf

MessagePosté le: 30/05/2014 19:43:17    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

Okay, so, sorry this is in English. My French isn't that great.

So grs montreal keeps sending me really outdated and French information . I know I need two psychologist letters and a letter from my doctor. Do I need all three before contacting the clinic to schedule an appointment or whatever? How does that work?

Publicité

MessagePosté le: 30/05/2014 19:43:17    Sujet du message: Publicité Back to top

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?

Kaiju
grand papillon

Suivi psy: Oui
Hormoné(e): Oui
Mastectomie: Fait

MessagePosté le: 30/05/2014 20:27:22    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

Hey there Marky.

First off, the main thing to know to properly answer your question would be to know what exactly is your transition background and goal: I think I remember that you're gender non-binary and are looking into a mastectomy without being on hormonal treatment, so my answer is gonna be based on that assumption. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll adjust my answer accordingly.

To the best of my knowledge, you need:

- A first letter from a certified psychologist (who has a PhD), affirming your gender identity and stating that your current physical state is causing you psychological distress, and that it is in your health's best interest to allow you for surgery
-A second letter from a different psych or therapist (PhD not required), confirming the first professional's opinion (basically a differential diagnosis)
-Complete bloodtest results from your general practician, along with a reference stating all that needs to be known about your physical health, and that you are fit to undergo surgery.

Once you've gathered all the following paperwork, you need to email or bring it in person to the GRS office. Once they have confirmed that everything is in order, they will book you for a pre-surgery appointment, where they will evaluate the surgery that needs to be done so that they can document it and submit your file to the RAMQ for approval on them footing the bill.

If you indeed are non-binary and not on HRT, I would recommend informing yourself any way you can beforehand, tho: I'm pretty sure I have heard that the government didn't want to cover for surgery anymore unless the person is undergoing hormonal therapy. If that's indeed the case (blow as it would), it would make all of your hard work and money spent acquiring all the paperwork useless, and it's something you probably wanna avoid and put all the odds in your favor.

I hope this helps you out!

marky
oeuf

MessagePosté le: 30/05/2014 20:33:54    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

Yes, you are correct, I am non-binary and looking for just the mastectomy.

I am in the process of getting my psychologist letters, should have them both very soon.

So I do need the letter from my doctor and blood tests done before I go to the grs clinic. I wasn't sure about this. Does it have to be my family doctor (because I don't have one.)? Or can I go to a walk-in clinic?

Kaiju
grand papillon

MessagePosté le: 30/05/2014 20:39:22    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

I'm pretty sure you can go to a walk-in clinic, as long as you have a way to see the same doctor twice (once for the blood test referrals, and a second time to get the results back and the required attestation of good health that you must ask for along with them).

Kaiju
grand papillon

MessagePosté le: 31/05/2014 00:44:22    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

Just something I wanna add, to be fair and honest: seeing a doctor at a walk-in clinic about this is helluva crapshoot. I had a couple doctors literally refuse to help me and turning me away on this very subject the moment I told them what I needed that stuff for. 

Are you in the greater Montreal area or willing to drive around, and age 25 or under? If yes, I can definitely refer you to a doctor who'd be able to help you with that part indiscriminately.

Dernière édition par Kaiju le 31/05/2014 00:48:53; édité 1 fois

marky
oeuf

MessagePosté le: 31/05/2014 00:47:36    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

Hatredcopter a écrit:
Just something I wanna add, to be fair and honest: seeing a doctor at an emergency clinic about this is helluva crapshoot. I had a couple doctors literally refuse to help me and turning me away on this very subject the moment I told them what I needed that stuff for. 

Are you in the greater Montreal area or willing to drive around, and age 25 or under? If yes, I can definitely refer you to a doctor who'd be able to gelp you with that part indiscriminately.

I am under 25 and live in Montreal, near to downtown. Don't have a car though, so can't really go places unless they are accessible by public transit.

Kaiju
grand papillon

MessagePosté le: 31/05/2014 00:56:29    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

marky a écrit:
Hatredcopter a écrit:
Just something I wanna add, to be fair and honest: seeing a doctor at an emergency clinic about this is helluva crapshoot. I had a couple doctors literally refuse to help me and turning me away on this very subject the moment I told them what I needed that stuff for. 

Are you in the greater Montreal area or willing to drive around, and age 25 or under? If yes, I can definitely refer you to a doctor who'd be able to gelp you with that part indiscriminately.

I am under 25 and live in Montreal, near to downtown. Don't have a car though, so can't really go places unless they are accessible by public transit.

Absolutely wonderful.

www.headandhands.ca

They're offering clinic hours 2 evenings a week (tuesdays and thursdays), and have been providing non-judgemental and queer-friendly health services such as HRT under informed consent (so without referrals). Their doctor, Dr. Tellier, has been volunteering there since the 80's, is a teacher and one of the guys running thing at McGill U's health dept, and is the guy who took over my HRT and gave me all the stuff I still needed for surgery when things with my former GP went as south as they could have. He's truly fantastic, and would be more than likely to help you out.

The way their clinic works is explained on the website, but they're my go-to place until I turn 26 and I am as such very familiar with how they run things, so don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions!

marky
oeuf

MessagePosté le: 31/05/2014 01:02:22    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

It says on their website that they draw 10 people and those are the only ones seen that night. Do you know if there are often more than 10 people present for the clinic hours? (just wondering what my chances of being seen are if I go)

Kaiju
grand papillon

MessagePosté le: 31/05/2014 01:10:51    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

The chances are pretty high, and it's that kind of setting where they don't dick you around. Since they pick the 10 people at 5 PM, before they even start seeing anyone, you won't just sit around waiting for something that might not happen and, if you are not picked, you have the option to talk to their social worker who'll be glad to either refer you to another place that could help you near-immediately or, if by some really gross bad luck you don't get picked in the random draw twice in a row, will make sure to garantee you a spot the next time (which, in a situation where you attend every clinic night consecutively, only means a worst-case-scenario wait of a week).

In my own personal experience, I think the most people I've seen turned away in one evening was 5, which still gives pretty decent odds of 2 out of 3. Some other evenings, we were all garanteed a spot due to an attendance of less than 10. It fluctuates a lot, but if you have a free schedule that allows you to show up there to try your luck whenever at 16:45, it's definitely worth trying out, and by far your best bet at a speedy outcome.

marky
oeuf

MessagePosté le: 31/05/2014 01:13:02    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

Alright well I'll definitely check that out. Thank you so much for all your help!

Kaiju
grand papillon

MessagePosté le: 31/05/2014 01:14:36    Sujet du message: question about process at grs Répondre en citant Back to top

Been a pleasure, don't hesitate to hit me up anytime if you need some more information. : )

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    D'un autre Genre Index du Forum -> Chirurgie Toutes les heures sont au format GMT - 4 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Créer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation

Cobalt 2.0 phpBB theme/template by Jakob Persson.
Copyright © 2002-2004 Jakob Persson